Sunday, August 13, 2006

Tornado Update

Was going to post a few pics but "blogger" won't do it for some reason! But ohhh well when it gets sorted out I will.

The tornado that went through this estate I live in was devastating and very destructive leaving many people homeless, some houses were completely demolished and others damaged, some more will have to be demolished, others can be repaired. They are saying over $10 million of damages. The premier has been and declared the area a natural disaster zone.
Over the past week a lot of time has been donated by people and businesses and a massive clean up has been going on. It has been marvellous the way people have come together and supported the community.
It is going to take a long time though before insurances etc can be sorted out and the rebuilding process can begin.
Today I have been down the local bush brigade helping with the morning teas and lunches for all the volunteers. All the food has been donated by businesses and cakes etc have been donated by families like mine who were not suffering damage. Being Sunday I didn't think there would be too many but there were over 30 of all ages. Marvellous the way this community has pulled together to help each other, isn't it?

The tornado was very frightening and I think everytime we have a storm I will be scared of a reoccurrence...I hope not as it is a noise I NEVER want to hear again!!!
I want to THANK all those people who were concerned about me and sms'ed, rang or emailed wondering how I was. All I can say is mwahhhhhhh THANK YOU

4 comments:

  1. It must have been SO horrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jen,
    Glad to hear that you are ok, it is so wonderful of you to be out there helping other who were not as fortunate as you. Good Luck with the clean up!
    Mel

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a horrible event, but it is great that the community is getting together to help! i knew you wouls be, cos you are wonderful! :)
    I hope everything is going well, or better, it takes a while to rebuilt etc.
    And i hope you never go through one again! (is it too much to hope no one has to?!?)
    *hugs*
    Rae :)

    p.s something completely trivial...

    YOU'RE TAGGED!

    go find out the how and why at my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete