Friday, January 13, 2023

Yesterday

Yesterday was a very emotional day.
Yesterday I attended the funeral of my cousin Ron. Ron’s family and mine spent a lot of time together as kids. His Dad and my Mum were brother and sister, his mum and my mum were also very good friends as well as sister in laws. And his Dad and my Dad also worked in the forestry department. We grew apart as we got older, plus him being 6 years older he moved on and left the district before I did. Mum always kept me informed as to where they all were….as did my brother as he and Ron kept the family tradition of working in the forestry department. 
Once I moved down south again (after living in the north west of the state for many years) I caught up with Ron and all his siblings and even though we didn’t see each other often we stayed in touch. 
Ron coached junior football and coached Simons 2 sons, and then Simon and him played football together in the “old farts” team. 
8 years ago Ron was diagnosed with early stages of Alzheimers. It was very slow moving for the first 5 years but the last 3 years it was a rapid decline and it was so sad and depressing to see such a vibrant man fade away. I stopped visiting as I couldn’t watch his body and mind fail him. 
Anyway at the funeral I coped till the time of reflection of Ron’s life. Photos and songs were put up on the screens and a gorgeous pic of him and mum together just set me off in a sea of tears. Those 2 had the same wicked sense of humour and got on so well. 
At the funeral was Simons ex wife and his eldest daughter paying their respects too. But more tears flowed as Jessica walked straight past me twice and didn’t acknowledge me. Her mother has a lot to answer too. I have lost the love of Jess and her sister thanks to her and her nasty vicious lies. It not only breaks my heart but her Dads as well. Thankfully the two boys acknowledge their Dad and me and hubby. Once upon a time we all used to be so close.  
It being a family funeral I was able to catch up with all Ron’s siblings and a few of the other cousins. Being a Thursday a lot couldn’t make could make the trip, plus a lot couldn’t because a lot of bushfires had closed roads in some directions. Still a lot made it. 
Was beautiful to see a of forestry personnel make a guard of honour as he was bought into the crematorium. 



Rest easy Ron xx 

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss! Hugs to you, your family and friends!

    ReplyDelete